Eat healthy, stay slim!
Just ten years ago, healthy food was synonymous with little taste, little enjoyment and little lifestyle. You had to eat healthy somehow because the doctor had shown the red card. Or because years of junk food had left marks on the hips and healthy food sounds even after losing weight. However, the thought of staying in the kitchen for a long time and conjuring up healthy food in the evening is still a deterrent. And because hunger is high, but the time budget is short after work, pasta with cream sauce ends up on the plate instead of healthy food. Our reward system is not yet programmed for healthy eating. This is changing because of the great recipes, nutritional concepts and fantastic foods that make healthy food a pleasure-promoting lifestyle.
What is healthy food?
What healthy food is supposedly not, many know. But what it actually is, only a few.
Healthy food is actually suitable for everyday use and anything but complicated. Healthy eating does not just mean giving up. Healthy food is simply a balanced, low-fat diet that provides the body with all the essential nutrients. Just like 50 years ago, the everyday kitchen with vegetable stew, little meat, rarely fish, low fat and low sugar, but whole, so whole grain. The classic vegetable soup, to which a new ingredient was thrown every day and which provides pulses of protein, was a cheap, healthy meal. We do not have to worry about that since we are not so easy to feed, but supposedly varied. Healthy everyday food is no longer automatic today.
Healthy food: the right composition
- Carbohydrates (about 60%): whole grains, cereals, fruits and vegetables, noodles, rice etc.
- Proteins (about 20%): meat, sausage, fish, dairy products, eggs etc.
- Fats (about 30%): vegetable oil, avocados, sea fish such as salmon
Healthy food fails in Germany mostly on fat. This is our familiar flavour carrier. Fresh herbs have a hard time against lard, butter and cream. Thus, the fat content on German plates is 50 percent above the daily maximum. Healthy food does not exclude fat. Although fats are considered to be fatty, without nutrition is not healthy. The properly healthy food contains many unsaturated fatty acids (avocados, vegetable oil, fish etc.) instead of “bad” saturated fatty acids (butter, cheese, fatty meat, sausage).
Healthy Eating: A few basic rules
- Healthy eating starts with drinking water. About one to three litres per day. Steer clear of sugared sodas and juices. These definitely do not belong in the area of healthy eating. Better is mineral water or tea.
- Sweets and fast food are allowed when generally healthy food is in the plan. Healthy food also means combining fat burgers or fries with salad and vegetables.
- Lots of vegetables – little fruit. This formula helps to train healthy eating. The fruit has too much fructose, vegetables have valuable fibre.
- Long-chain carbohydrates such as al dente-wholemeal pasta, wholemeal spelt flour, potatoes, low-fat dairy products and high-quality vegetable oil are essential for healthy eating.